Confused by the rapidly spreading new coronavirus threat, Cricket New Zealand (New Zealand) is sensitive to its contracted players, including six who will play in the Indian Premier League (IPL), about Preventive measures to deal with deadly diseases.
In India, 29 positive cases have been reported so far,
including 16 Italian tourists. Worldwide, the virus has claimed more than 3,200
lives besides infecting more than 95,000 people.
Coronavirus has become a big threat to many fields including sports and cricket is not an exception. Therefore, New Zealand Cricket has given its first response to coronavirus concern regarding IPL.
Richard Boock, Head of Public Relations of New Zealand, is
being updated on the latest developments, including precautions and best
practices, when new information becomes available, Head of Public Relations of
New Zealand Richard Boock said in a statement.
Six New Zealand players who plan to play IPL are Jimmy
Neesham (KXIP), Lockie Ferguson (Agate Knight), Mitchell McClenaghan and Trent
Boult (both Mumbai Indians), Kane Williamson (Sunrisers Hyderabad) and Mitchell
Santner (Chennai Super Kings).
Boock also said that the cricket council contacted the country’s health ministry, foreign ministry and sports department to get regular updates to ensure the health of players.
Continuous notification to the medical director, Department
of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Health and Sports New Zealand, and following updates
from the World Health Organization to ensure compliance with best practices,
Mr. Boock stated.
BCCI has said that they will continue with IPL as scheduled from March 29. However, the Indian Council has yet to provide any travel advice for foreign and national players.
During the IPL, the number of selfie hunters and signatures
increased greatly and players could be advised to refrain from public gatherings
under common circumstances.
England, currently touring Sri Lanka, have been advised to
avoid shaking hands and restrict pleasant play to the punches.